Captain W. C. Tyrrell purchased the First Baptist Church and donated the building to the city for a library in 1923.
The library opened in 1926. It served as the main public library for the city until 1974, when the new library opened. At that time, it became the Tyrrell Historical Library, with a Texana collection and genealogical collection.
In 1987, restoration of the Tyrrell was adopted as a high priority and the restored Tyrrell reopened on July 19, 1990. In addition to the Texana and genealogical book collections, it contains outstanding archives centering on Southeast Texas.
Our archives include, but are not limited to, the following material
The Tyrrell Historical Library has begun a new and exciting program called the “Tyrrell Historical Library Digital Collections©”.
Started with a generous donation by the Tyrrell Historical Library Association, this project allows the library to present selected parts of our collections digitally through OCLC’s ContentDM digital portal program. Please click on the link below to begin your journey through the history of Beaumont and Southeast Texas.
There are two ways to access web resources for the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives.