As with any weather event, please be mindful of the following safety tips:
1. Live wires can be deadly. Stay away from downed power lines. Call 1 800 9OUTAGE (1 800 968 8243) to report downed or dangling power lines, poles or other damaged equipment.
2. Do not trim trees or remove debris on or near downed power lines. Only power company crews or their contractors should remove trees or limbs touching power lines.
3. Keep away from the immediate areas where crews are working. There is always the danger of moving equipment and the possibility of construction materials or limbs or overhead wires falling to the ground.
4. If you plan on using a generator for temporary power, get a licensed electrician and disconnect from the utility electric system before hooking up to your home main electric panel.
5. Do not run a generator in a confined space without adequate ventilation.
6. Avoid using candles or other flammable devices to warm your home.
7. Check on seniors, who can be particularly susceptible to extreme temperatures.
8. Try to stay off the roads in affected areas. More traffic in bad weather leads to more accidents, including more injuries and fatalities as well as accidents that can damage electrical poles and other equipment, creating outages and impeding the ability of crews to access and repair damage and slowing restoration.
Sign up for text alerts from Entergy- From your cellphone, text R E G to 368374, or visit entergytext.com.