Back to School and Tax Free Shopping Safety Tips
It’s that time again! The 2016-2017 school year is around the corner and Southeast Texas residents will be out getting students prepared. Texas tax free weekend is this weekend, August 5, 6 and 7th. This is a great time for our local businesses, but it is also a welcome time for criminals. Shoppers are often pre occupied with children, shopping lists, foot and vehicle traffic. Students are excited and may not be aware of their surroundin…gs.
1. Have a plan before you head out to shop.
2. Be vigilant, don’t be an easy target. The Southeast Texas
Auto Theft Task Force and businesses have signs throughout
their parking lots with ways to protect your valuables — Lock
Your Vehicle , Take Your Keys With You and Hide Your
3. Park in well lit areas and travel in numbers.
4. Keep an eye on young children, especially in the parking lots.
5. Have your keys in your hand when you go to your vehicle and
try to limit the numbers of items you have in your hands