February 5, 2020
There is currently a patient under investigation for the 2019-nCoV (Coronavirus) in Beaumont.
The Beaumont Public Health Department is working closely with the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention and the Texas Department of State Health Services, along with other
partners in monitoring this developing situation. Detailed testing per CDC guidelines has been
initiated and has been expedited for confirmation. As more information becomes available, we
will keep the public updated. Currently, there is no risk to the community.
According to the CDC, the risk of 2019-nCoV (Coronavirus) to the American public is low. You
can help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses by following these precautionary steps:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if soap and water
are not available.
• Avoid touching your lips, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and discard tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
For further information, call the Beaumont Public Health Department at 409-654-3603.