Today, March 30, 2020 the Beaumont Public Health Department (BPHD) received confirmation of 6 positive cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in 5 Beaumont residents and 1 resident in an unincorporated area of Jefferson County. This brings the count to 16 for Beaumont and 2 for unincorporated areas of Jefferson County for a total of 18 confirmed cases. One (1) case was transferred to jurisdiction of residence for follow up by the local health department.
The age ranges for today’s confirmations for Beaumont are:
1 between the ages of 75-80
1 between the ages of 70-75
1 between the ages of 40-45
1 between the ages of 20-25
1 between the ages of 35-40
The age range for the unincorporated area of Jefferson County is: 1 between the ages of 55-60
Five (5) of these individuals are quarantined at home and 1 person is hospitalized. For confidentiality purposes, BPHD is not releasing any additional information to identify the individual. BPHD is beginning epidemiological investigations of these recent confirmations and is working to quickly identify close contacts of the individuals. Those may include family, friends, co-workers and other potential contacts.
These are steps you must take to keep you and your loved ones protected:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home if you are sick.
• Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash. If tissues are not available, cough and sneeze into your elbow. Do not cough and sneeze into your hands.
• Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
• Get a flu shot. The flu vaccine does not offer protection against COVID-19, but it is also flu season.
• Avoid crowds of more than 10 people.
• Adhere to the Stay at Home Orders issued by the City of Beaumont and by Jefferson County. Call your healthcare provider if you are experiencing fever, cough or shortness of breath and are concerned you have come in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 patient or have a history of travel from affected geographic areas within 14 days of symptom onset. It is important that you call first so your healthcare provider can evaluate your risk and determine your need to be seen in person so that other patients are not potentially put at risk.