The mission of Water and Sewer Services is to provide uninterrupted potable water and sanitary sewer services to its customers while meeting state and federal regulations.

We do not own the rights to this video.  This video was produced by Singapore’s National Water Agency-PUB.  Please do not call the phone numbers provided in the video.  If you are having issues with discolored water, please dial 3-1-1.


Water Services

Yes, your water is safe to drink. We are regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, and we meet or exceed the parameters for water safety and quality, as established by the regulatory entity.

The City of Beaumont has three (3) ground water wells in Hardin County as well as a Surface Water Treatment Plant on Pine Street that receives water from the Neches River upstream of the Salt Water Barrier.

Naturally occurring minerals (primarily iron and manganese) flowing with the water are typically to blame for water discoloration. These minerals, which are heavier than water, settle in water pipelines when water usage is low — especially during winter months. When the water flow and pressure through the water pipes increases again (due to irrigation, construction, etc.) the minerals are stirred up and flow out of your faucets when you turn on the tap. The City of Beaumont maintains routine water flushing schedules to minimize water discoloration by “flushing out” the system on a regular basis. The City will also flush in an area when discolored water is reported to 311.

If discoloration occurs, run the COLD water at one faucet for about 5 minutes, and you should see the water clear. (Running the hot water pulls from the water heater, which could make the problem worse.) If the water fails to clear after 5 minutes, call 311 to report the issue.

For most people, discolored water is not harmful if consumed. It does look bad, however, and not wanting to drink it is perfectly understandable. Some people may be more vulnerable to substances in drinking water than the general population. People who have compromised immune systems, such as those with cancer undergoing chemotherapy, those who have undergone organ transplants, some elderly and infants can be particularly at risk from infections. These people should seek advice from their health care providers about drinking water that is discolored. If you experience discolored water that does not clear after a few minutes of flushing the COLD water please call 311.

It is not recommended that you use discolored water to do laundry. The discolored water could stain any clothing, but whites are especially susceptible.

You can find the most recent Annual Water Quality Report on the Water and Sewer Services page of our website. You can also find our analytical results and compliance with state and federal regulations on the TCEQ’s Texas Drinking Water Watch (DWW) website.

The City of Beaumont’s drinking water is produced from the Neches River and groundwater wells. 


The City of Beaumont’s drinking water has never exceeded the lead and copper levels established by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 

The water rates are structured to cover operational costs as well as ongoing infrastructure upgrades necessary to maintain the City’s water system. We do what we can to keep costs as low as possible while providing safe drinking water for citizens. 

Sewer Information

Please call 311 to report the issue.

Please call 311 to report the issue.

Yes, the City has dress up crews that will restore your yard.

Always call 311 to have the water and sewer department look at it first. We’ll always come out to inspect for no charge and if the stoppage is on the City’s side, the City will unstop the line for free. If we determine the issue to be on the customer side, we’ll then advise you to call a plumber.

Water Quality Control

Anyone who falls under the following definition shall be required to install a grease trap:

Commercial Grease Generator: All commercial food preparation and food service establishments that may discharge grease, including but not limited to bakeries, caterers, butcher shops, cafes, clubhouses, delicatessens, hospitals, hotels, restaurants, schools, institutions, or similar places where meat, poultry, seafood, dairy products, fried foods or other foods are prepared or served, but shall not apply to any residence not used for the commercial preparation and sale of food items or to an exempt establishment.

A commercial establishment that:

  • Operates for a maximum duration of ten (10) days in connection with an annual event such as a fair, carnival, circus, public exhibition, or other public gathering;
  • Sells or serves prepackaged or precooked foods that would require warming only or served without additional processing, no cooking;
  • Serves only snow cones, drinks, or ice cream products;
  • Bars and clubs serving drinks only and where no food is prepared;
  • Produce markets without food grinders;
  • Grocery or convenience stores without food preparation, meat cutting, or packaging, delicatessens, or bakeries;
  • Day care centers that primarily serve microwave dishes, using single-service items.

*The Water Quality Manager shall make a decision in regard to all requests for an exemption.

Any facility that does not fall under the set exempt categories can still apply to be exempt from installing a grease trap. An application will be provided upon request and based upon the answers given, the Water Quality Manager will make a decision regarding the facility’s grease trap requirements.

All backflow preventers must be tested on an annual basis.

The City will only accept a backflow test report through our web-based tracking system

Water Utilities

The Contractor is required to restore the site no more than 14 days after installation, testing, and inspection is complete. They’re allowed to work up to 2,000 linear feet at once before dress-up.

After renewal of our wastewater system, any rain water that may have drained into our system should no longer infiltrate our lines. It is possible that over the years your property may have changed and no longer drains directly to the street. If you notice ponding water after wastewater main repairs, you need to restore the ability of your yard to drain to the street, where the storm sewer system is located. Neither the City of Beaumont Water Utilities Department nor the Contractor is responsible for the grading or drainage of private property.

Depending on the purpose of the meter, you may need approval from Planning and Zoning. Rules and Regulations can vary with use. Generally, you will call Water Administration at 409-866-0026 for a water meter quote. Once the quote is paid at Building Codes, a work order is generated for installation. Once the meter has been installed, you must set up an account at Customer Service at City Hall. 

That question is usually decided by the building designer or engineer.  Small meters range from 1 to 2 inches in diameter.  Commercial meters can range from 3 inches and larger in diameter. Contact your engineer. 


Did you mark the meter location with a blue flag? Water Utilities operates on a schedule. The blue flag will determine if the crew stops at your location. If no flag is seen, the crew continues to the next installation. Typically installations are completed with 14 days pending weather and other repairs.

Sometimes there are circumstances that dictate different meter and tap locations. We will not install any meter or tap without them being located.