Sept 4, 2017
The following is supplemental information related to repairs, reconstruction and permitting following Hurricane Harvey….
· Homeowners not in a floodplain may remove damaged sheetrock, carpet, and insulation before getting permits. However, please document damage, including how high the water was in the home and accessory structures. Please document with photographs.
· Repairs will require a permit, but fees are waived for storm-related damages. Doing any work without a permit could jeopardize any possible assistance.
· If your house is in a floodplain, removal of carpeting, furniture and belongings is encouraged, but repairs will require a special inspection and permit from the city. If you are not sure if your home is in a floodplain, please contact the City of Beaumont’s Building Codes office at (409) 880-3100. They are open.
· If your structure is commercial, please contact our office regarding issues related to asbestos.
· If there was water damage to electrical, plumbing (including natural gas), and/or mechanical systems a permit is required for each individual trade, which includes electrical, plumbing, and/or mechanical. For replacement of pre-existing interior sheetrock, insulation, doors, and other structural repairs, you will also need a building permit.
· Electrical service reconnections to your building will continue to need to be approved by Building Codes.
· Please ensure that your contractor is bonded and/or licensed with the City/State. To determine this, please contact the City of Beaumont’s Building Codes office at (409) 880-3100.
· We also encourage you not to pay your contractor until work is completed and work is approved by the City.
· Permits can be applied for by homeowners and bonded and licensed contractors at City Hall, once it reopens on Monday, September 4th.
· Additional permitting information can be found at our website at: http://beaumonttexas.wpengine.com/…/community-develo…/building-codes